- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Happy Holidays 2012
Greetings and Happy Holidays from Better Health and Wellness Center!
Everyone would like to enjoy this time of the year with family and friends and start the New Year healthier and happier. Here are a few hints on how to survive the Holiday Season and even develop new habits.
- Use seasonsings in a new way. Salt in a recipe can be replaced with seasonings such as basil, rosemary, sage, and garlic. Experiment...try something different to cut the sodium content.
- Try reduced-fat or non-fat yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Did you know that people will fill their plates with more vegetables than potatoes when there are at least 3 different vegetables on the table? It presents a healthier choice instead of everyone filling their plates with lots of carbohydrates.
- Eat slowly. Heartburn can result from eating a meal too fast. Enjoy the friendships around the table. Start a conversation by asking everyone what their favorite childhood Holiday memory is.
- Bring out the teapot. Tea has more healthful benefits than a lot of the Holiday drinks such as soda, egg nog, and liquor. Find time from your Holiday preparations to sit down and have a cup of tea.
- At the appetizer table, serve boiled shrimp instead of fried foods.
- Dinner time...pick a time that is early enough so that you and your guests can take a short walk after the meal. Group activity...get everyone up and moving before dessert.
Most of all, have a wonderful Holiday Season, stay healthy, and start making your New Year's resolutions about maintaining a healthier lifestyle. We are here at the Better Health and Wellness Center to help you keep that resolution.
Yours for better health,
Dr. Fara Sabeti, DC
(Reference Consumer Reports On Health, December 2012)